Tags: characters, covers, cpi, designed, font, forms, inch, lines, lpi, microsoft, msdn, perinch, print, printed, software, word

print at 10 cpi and 6 lpi

On Microsoft » Microsoft Word

4,779 words with 5 Comments; publish: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 22:39:00 GMT; (300156.25, « »)

UK printed end of year forms are designed to be printed at 10 characters per

inch and 6 lines per inch. I cannot find a font that covers this under

Windows even though I can happily specify this (and other) size under DOS.

How can I set my printout to line up exactly?

All Comments

Leave a comment...

  • 5 Comments
    • Unfortunately those typewriter-based specs are founded on 'archaic'

      mono-spaced (or 'fixed width') technology, which you can obviously not

      change. Most of the fonts used on the PC today are proportionally spaced,

      but there are some which might fill the bill, Courier (not Courier New) 12

      pt, single spaced, for one.

      I'm sure other suggestions will come in as well.

      Good Luck |:>)

      On 10/17/05 6:20 PM, in article

      7286DF05-C97E-4059-B22E-827170FADE14.ms-word.questionfor.info.microsoft.com, "ASL SOFTWARE" <ASL

      SOFTWARE.ms-word.questionfor.info.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

      > UK printed end of year forms are designed to be printed at 10 characters per

      > inch and 6 lines per inch. I cannot find a font that covers this under

      > Windows even though I can happily specify this (and other) size under DOS.

      > How can I set my printout to line up exactly?

      >

      #1; Sat, 07 Jun 2008 22:40:00 GMT
    • Use Courier New 12 pt with line spacing set to Exactly 12 pts.

      Suzanne S. Barnhill

      Microsoft MVP (Word)

      Words into Type

      Fairhope, Alabama USA

      Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org

      Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so

      all may benefit.

      "ASL SOFTWARE" <ASL SOFTWARE.ms-word.questionfor.info.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

      news:7286DF05-C97E-4059-B22E-827170FADE14.ms-word.questionfor.info.microsoft.com...

      > UK printed end of year forms are designed to be printed at 10 characters

      per

      > inch and 6 lines per inch. I cannot find a font that covers this under

      > Windows even though I can happily specify this (and other) size under DOS.

      > How can I set my printout to line up exactly?

      >

      #2; Sat, 07 Jun 2008 22:41:00 GMT
    • Wonderful! Thank you!

      I can sort the problem in Word now, all I need to do is get my programmer to

      be able to use the 'exactly' option under Visual Basic and I will be able to

      sleep nights.

      "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

      > Use Courier New 12 pt with line spacing set to Exactly 12 pts.

      > --

      > Suzanne S. Barnhill

      > Microsoft MVP (Word)

      > Words into Type

      > Fairhope, Alabama USA

      > Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org

      > Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so

      > all may benefit.

      > "ASL SOFTWARE" <ASL SOFTWARE.ms-word.questionfor.info.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

      > news:7286DF05-C97E-4059-B22E-827170FADE14.ms-word.questionfor.info.microsoft.com...

      > per

      >

      #3; Sat, 07 Jun 2008 22:42:00 GMT
    • I can print correctly in Word using courier new Exactly 12 point, now I need

      to use the Exactly option in Visual Basic

      "CyberTaz" wrote:

      > Unfortunately those typewriter-based specs are founded on 'archaic'

      > mono-spaced (or 'fixed width') technology, which you can obviously not

      > change. Most of the fonts used on the PC today are proportionally spaced,

      > but there are some which might fill the bill, Courier (not Courier New) 12

      > pt, single spaced, for one.

      > I'm sure other suggestions will come in as well.

      > Good Luck |:>)

      >

      > On 10/17/05 6:20 PM, in article

      > 7286DF05-C97E-4059-B22E-827170FADE14.ms-word.questionfor.info.microsoft.com, "ASL SOFTWARE" <ASL

      > SOFTWARE.ms-word.questionfor.info.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

      >

      >

      #4; Sat, 07 Jun 2008 22:43:00 GMT
    • Tell the programmer to use these two lines:

      ActiveDocument.Paragraphs.LineSpacingRule = wdLineSpaceExactly

      ActiveDocument.Paragraphs.LineSpacing = 12

      If the programmer is really using Visual Basic (the stand-alone

      language outside of Word) instead of Visual Basic for Applications

      (the macro language built into Word), then you need to know that the

      numeric value of the constant wdLineSpaceExactly is 4.

      Regards,

      Jay Freedman

      Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org

      On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 03:50:04 -0700, ASL SOFTWARE

      <ASLSOFTWARE.ms-word.questionfor.info.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

      [vbcol=seagreen]

      >Wonderful! Thank you!

      >I can sort the problem in Word now, all I need to do is get my programmer to

      >be able to use the 'exactly' option under Visual Basic and I will be able to

      >sleep nights.

      >

      >"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

      #5; Sat, 07 Jun 2008 22:44:00 GMT